BBQ Cauliflower Steaks with Chimichurri- My favourite summer recipe! Cauliflower is one of the most versatile vegetables you can use- another great way to enjoy cauliflower is mashed (just like mashed potatoes!). You can serve these cauliflower steaks as a main dish or as a filling side dish to vegetarians and meat eaters alike.
You can enjoy the cauliflower steaks for 3 to 4 days after grilling and the chimichurri will last slightly longer in the fridge.
- 2 cups packed fresh parsley
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 shallot
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 tbsp to brush onto cauliflower
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1. Turn on the barbecue to medium heat.
2. To cut the cauliflower steaks, remove the leaves from the base of the cauliflower and cut the cauliflower into 2-4 steaks that are each 1/2 inch thick, being sure to get a portion of the core in each one as this will hold them together. Whatever falls off or breaks apart isn't waste! Place those cauliflower pieces into a bbq wok.
3. In a food processor combine all of the ingredients for the chimichurri and blitz until smooth.
4. Brush each cauliflower steak with extra virgin olive oil and place onto bbq and let them cook for 5-8 minutes. Flip them over to grill for another 5-8 minutes. The steaks should be tender with darkened grill marks on both sides. At the same time, place the pieces of cauliflower (drizzled in extra virgin olive oil) that have fallen off, into a wok on the bbq. Leave on grill for the same amount of time as the steaks.
Serve cauliflower with the chimichurri evenly spread on top.